South Charlotte General and Vascular Surgery
Vascular Surgeon located in Charlotte, NC
While spider veins pose no real health risk, their appearance on the surface of your skin is often unwelcome. Our vascular specialists offer several effective treatments for eliminating the appearance of spider veins, including a state-of-the-art laser therapy in a serene and welcoming setting right here in South Charlotte, NC. To find out how you can regain natural-looking skin, call us now or schedule an appointment online.
Spider Veins Q & A
What are spider veins?
Spider veins are broken, spindly blood vessels near the surface of your skin that appear in webs hence their name. Spider veins are very common, and typically develop in your legs or on your face, but they can appear anywhere on your body.
Medically speaking, these red or blue network of veins, also called telangiectasia, are dilated superficial blood vessels. While spider veins pose no risks to your health, they can cause symptoms and may be unsightly for many.
What causes spider veins?
Spider veins develop with increased pressure in your veins in the legs as we get older, especially after the valves inside the veins stop working properly( normal body wear and tear). The reason they appear more often in your legs is that the veins in your legs are under a higher amount of pressure as they pump blood back up to your heart, fighting gravity along the way. As blood pools inside the veins, the branching veins start bulging and spider veins appear with time.
There are many reasons why people are prone to developing spider veins, including:
- Hereditary factors
- Long periods of standing or sitting
- Hormone fluctuations (especially during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause)
- Poor circulation
- Increasing age
Several lifestyle factors also contribute to the development of spider veins, such as smoking and lack of exercise.
How common are spider veins?
Spider are very common and recent studies show that 80% of the women and 50% of the men over the age of 40 had some form of spider veins.
Can spider veins cause symptoms?
While spider veins pose no risks to your health, they can cause symptoms but may also be embarrassing and unsightly for many.
Some symptoms you may experience:
- Itching or burning sensation
- Pain or pressure at the site of a spider network
- Heaviness in the leg
- Leg cramps
What can I do to help with my spider veins?
Remember the 3 E’s:
- Exercise: flex and extend your ankle ten times every two hours
- Elevation of the legs above your heart for short period of times to relieve the pressure
- Elastic compression stockings
What degree of compression should I use?
- Support pantyhose: (10-15mm Hg compression) These provide only light pressure but are available in many stores. It is also possible to buy a range of support pantyhose online.
- Gradient compression stockings and socks: (15-20 mmHg compression) These provide medium pressure around the feet, ankles, and calves. They are often available from specialist stores and pharmacies. A range of gradient compression stockings and socks is also available to purchase online.
- Prescription compression stockings: (20-50mmHg compression) These provide the most pressure to the feet and legs. They are available by prescription and come in various sizes and strengths as well as footless varieties. Prescription compression stockings are not suitable for some people, including those who have heart failure, heart problems and or have severe arterial disease.
A comprehensive treatment will be recommended to you. This may include a non-invasive doppler testing of your veins done in our office to evaluate where the pressure is originating from and whether the larger and deeper veins are healthy and working well. We offer a variety of methods to treat your spider veins and our vascular specialists will discuss with you the treatment that fits your condition and gives you the best possible outcomes.
Do I have to pay for my treatments?
Depending on your insurance, treatment of spider veins may or may not be covered. We offer an extended payment plan and we will work with you to get your legs to look and feel great again
To learn more about eliminating symptomatic or unsightly spider veins, call us at South Charlotte General and Vascular Surgery or book an appointment online with our spider vein specialists.